Apple released an update for the latest iOS on Wednesday to fix a few issues, but within an hour pulled the 8.0.1 update.
Reason, A lot of users were reporting that the phone function was no longer working losing a carrier signal – to quote ‘my iPhone has turned into a iPod’. Other users said the Touch ID feature, which allows people to unlock their iPhone using their fingerprints, no longer worked.
Apple released a statement saying they were investigating the reports, and rightly pulled the update while they did so.
From what I read on social media forums, the problem only affected the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus. Older iPhones were not affected.
For users that have a phone that cannot make calls because of the faulty iOS 8.0.1 update, see below for instructions on how to rollback to iOS 8:
disclaimer: read the instructions carefully. This site takes no responsibility for any data that may be lost as a result of the below
* Download the last available version of iOS 8 as an IPSW file. Apple released one version for the iPhone 6 and one for the iPhone 6 plus. They may take a few minutes depending on your internet connection as they are approx 2 gig in size.
* Once the file has downloaded, connect your Apple device to a computer and open iTunes. Go to the backup options and select “this computer”, then click on “back up now”. This will save all your contacts, apps and settings onto your computer. You will need to restore these after installing the IPSW file.
* If you’re using Windows, hold down the Shift key and click the Restore option. For those with running OSX, hold down the Alt key and select the Restore option in iTunes.
* Select the IPSW file you downloaded in the first step and follow the prompts.
* Installing the IPSW file will wipe everything from your phone, but now you can re-install everything you backed up earlier. Simply select “Restore Backup” in iTunes.
If these instructions are too diffcult to follow or you are not tech savvy, then wait. I’m sure Apple will release an update fairly quickly, and then you can download it via wifi and update as you would normally.
How did you go? Did you get affected by the latest update? Leave a message below.